- 1 What could cause the check engine light to come on?
- 2 Is it safe to drive your car with the check engine light on?
- 3 What do you do when the check engine light comes on?
- 4 Can your engine light came on for no reason?
- 5 Can AutoZone check engine light?
- 6 How long can I drive with engine light on?
- 7 How urgent is a check engine light?
What could cause the check engine light to come on?
Finally, worn spark plugs or plug wires will result in a check engine warning. Just about anything wrong with your vehicle’s ignition system will likely cause your check engine light to come on. Stalls are another indicator of spark plug trouble.
Is it safe to drive your car with the check engine light on?
If the check engine light comes on while you’re driving, it can be unnerving. The check engine light means there’s a problem somewhere in your emissions system. Regardless, you’re safe to drive for now as long as the car isn’t performing strangely. Just have the check engine light checked and the problem repaired.
What do you do when the check engine light comes on?
What to Do About the Check Engine Light
- Look for a serious problem that requires immediate attention. Check your dashboard gauges and lights for indications of low oil pressure or overheating.
- Try tightening your gas cap.
- Reduce speed and load.
- Use built-in diagnostic services, if available.
Can your engine light came on for no reason?
Fuel System Issues
Something as simple as forgetting to replace the gas cap could cause your “check engine” light to come on. Faulty ignition – Spark plugs ignite the fuel as it flows through the engine’s cylinders. Failing to replace a spark plug could lead to catalytic converter failure or other serious problems.
Can AutoZone check engine light?
Does AutoZone Scan Check Engine Lights? AutoZone does. If your light is on, and you are wondering why, head down to your local AutoZone where one of our store associates can help diagnose the issue through our free Fix Finder service.
How long can I drive with engine light on?
When the check engine light is solid, you can typically drive the car for hundreds of miles without an issue. Of course, that depends on which code is stored in the vehicle’s computer. If an engine sensor is faulty, the car will usually use made up sensor values to keep running.
How urgent is a check engine light?
Unlike a Temperature or Oil Pressure light, a Check Engine light is usually not an urgent, “Stop right now or you may cause permanent damage!” type of situation, unless it is flashing. If your gas cap is loose or the seal is not tight, the vapor leakage can cause your fuel system to trigger the check engine light.